Tuesday, 24 August 2010

End Game.

The last breaths are exhausted this week on the design of "Ryushin", our book on Horiyoshi III's new dragon ink and brush paintings.
I have been researching and crossreferencing the translations of the charachters appearing in the book so many times now, that I feel completely full to the brim with new knowledge. Perhaps that is the most unexpected and welcome side effect of doing this - all the new insights, aha's and piling up of knowledge.
Knowledge in it self has no real purpose. there's no point in hoarding it like a squirrel hoarding nuts for the winter. No, it's when the knowledge is put in a practical context it becomes allive and breathing. Then it can be your best friend.

There is such a thing as knowing to much.
Reality easily becomes distorted when the mind is cluttered with facts and theories. It's fine line inbetween living in the real world or simply sheltering in a creation of your own imagination.

The older I get, the more I understand how little I understood back then when I thought I knew it all. In reality, I can easily say that I know less now than before, but more of what I know now is real and not imagination or confusion. Knowledge is not truth. It's just a pile of stuff.

/senju



(photograph captured by Matti Sedholm, Horiyoshi III's studio, Yokohama, late summer 2009)

1 comment: